Trust me: YOU WILL RELATE TO MORE THAN ONE… because this is real life. Daycare life.
1. Being a daycare provider is our job, not a hobby. Daycare providers are not babysitters, unless parents want to pay us $10-15 per hour! Then we will happily become your daily babysitters!
2. When daycare providers get an unexpected day off, it feels like Christmas morning. Best gift ever! Don’t judge us.
3. We can change diapers in record time. Try us, we will beat you every time. What’s your super power?
4. We get mad when parents don’t pay us on time, just like you would if you weren’t paid on time. Don’t believe me? Then have your boss pay you a few days later than your payday. Did you panic a little?
5. We know more about families and their home life than what we want to know. “Thank you, little ones, for all the entertaining stories.” Don’t be embarrassed. It’s better than a reality show.
6. Drop-off and pick-up times often bring us anxiety: these are the most stressful times of the day. Parents, your kid is not your boss. So don’t let him/her boss you around! Be in charge. Thank you!
7. Some parents think we get paid for doing nothing. Oh yeah!? Why don’t we trade jobs for a day! It’s harder than you think.
8. Nap-time is that sacred time when we can finally go to the bathroom without being interrupted. Glorious.
9. Yes, your kids do tell us they love us. But that doesn’t make them love you any less. It’s true. You’re still their hero.
10. No, we don’t pretend to be their Moms. But in reality, they are spending 11 hours a day with us. So sometimes, they do call us “Mom”.
11. Socks! Every daycare provider’s nightmare. Kids take them off all. day. long. So please bring an extra pair to keep us sane.
12. Rainy days can be a disaster for any daycare provider unless parents bring rain coats and rain boots for the kiddos. Then rainy days turn into the best days at daycare.
13. We are smarter than you think. Yes, we know you gave your child Tylenol before they came, so they are feeling “okay” at drop-off. But guess what? Four hours later, the Tylenol is going to wear-off, and we will be calling you at work to pick up your child! Not fun for everyone involved! And that includes your child.
14. We did not write our contract because we thought you need an extra book to read. We wrote a contract so you know what we are all about; which will help you decide if we are the right fit for your family. You’re welcome!
15. Vacation time is our life-line. We need a break from our home and we need a break from the kiddos. Everybody is going to be happy when a daycare provider is happy! Trust me on this one. Don’t fight “vacation” time with any daycare provider. Ever.
16. We like to look nice like everyone else. But seriously… after changing way-too-many diapers, cooking, crafting, teaching, cleaning and working 11-hour days, we may not look our best at pick-up. Don’t tell us we look tired. We know. We don’t need reminders. Instead pick up on time. And bring us chocolate. Or wine.
17. Most daycare providers love coffee. Actually, it’s even more serious than that; we are addicted to coffee! No, we don’t need a rehab. But we do need you to show up with a hot cup of coffee once in a while. Thank you!
18. Fruit snacks are our secret weapon. We buy them in bulk. I’ve never met a child who didn’t like fruit snacks. Yes, we know, fruit snacks = sugar. Don’t judge us.
19. The last hour of work is the longest and hardest hour of the day. It goes super slow. So parents, feel free to pick up your little ones earlier… anytime! And please be quick at pick up. Best gift ever.
20. We are not a restaurant. Therefore, there are no special menus at daycare. The truth is, we make the same thing over and over unless there are allergies involved.
21. As much as we would like to be friends with daycare parents, it’s best to avoid mixing friendships and business. But seriously, it’s easier said than done! Daycare parents can be so much fun!
22. Daycare providers hate Mondays, just like everyone else. But that does not mean we hate your children.
23. We want to quit almost every single day, but we never do. Your kids put some spell on us and we can’t stop loving them!
24. We have a life outside of daycare. Boom! Shocker! I know. So please don’t be late picking up your child!
25. People think we are crazy for becoming a daycare provider, and they are probably right. But we love what we do – we’re making a difference by loving and investing in small children! They’re worth it! And deep inside we truly love it.